The foundation sources of Armenian State University of Economics arise from 1930, from Cooperative-Economics Institute. Famous scholar teachers and professors Ghevond Shaqaryan, Hovhannes Tumanyan, Karpis Karagyan, Vram Kostanyan, Suren Miqayelyan and others had been promonents of Armenian economic thinking, as well as economic education’s development and formation in Armenia since those years. Then the University has undergone several phases of formation. The next was the existence in YSU staff as the Department of Economics for more than four decades, during which it has had a huge progress in scientific-pedagogical fields due to the favorable conditions created in Yerevan State University and hard work of the Department’s staff.
The second birth or the start of new history of independent university of economics in Armenia was August 6, 1975, when Yerevan Institute of National Economy was formed according to the Decree of Communist Party Central Committee and the USSR Council of Ministers on the bases of the Departments of YSU Economics, Commodity Research and Trade Industry, Qualification of Chief Workers and Specialists. It’s enough to mention that on the eve of the formation of Yerevan Institute of National Economy (1974) the number of economist students was raised comparing with 1934: around three thousand students instead of 305, and 11 specialties instead of 4. However, the growing demand for economists with higher education was raising, and that was the reason for necessity to form economic independent university in the 70th. Famous economists Anushavan Kirakosyan, Avag Avanesyan, Raya Qalantaryan, Varazdat Khlghatyan, Liparit Tamazyan, Sergey Meliqyan, Hovhannes Fahradyan, Shavarsh Manukyan and others were working in the Department of Economics in YSU, then moved to Institute of National Economy.
According to the Decree of the Government of the Republic of Armenia on November 30, 1999 the University was renamed Yervan State Institute of Economics, and on June 6, 2006 got University status and was called Armenian State University of Economics State Non- commercial organization. ASUE Faculty staff, workers have succeed both in educational-methodological and scientific-research fields due to their joint and consistent work in its recent history.
In 1995 according to the Decree of the Government of the Republic of Armenia the University launched new academic year in a new building at Nalbandyan 128. Only one of the Departments is in Zeitun District. Abut 40.000 alumni have graduated from the University since now. A number of Doctors of Sciences, Professors, Candidates of Sciences, Associate Professors, Assistant Professors teach at the University’s professional and non-professional chairs. More than six decades
highly qualified specialists teach part time at the University. The University implements Bachelor’s full-time /since 2005 also part-time / since 2004 full-time Master’s /since 2009 also part-time / have been organized. Full and part time of Bachelor’s and Full-time Master’s courses are implemented by credit system. The University also organized post-graduate studies (both part-time and full-time). Since 2010-2011 academic year post-graduate studies have also passed credit system. ASUE has educational and scientific relations with different universities in the world and enlarges these relations day by day by signing and validating cooperation new agreements. Today a reformation stage is going on in the University of Economics: academic new projects, strengthening of university-employer relationship, Bachelor’s and Master’s specialties opened according to modern demands, strengthening of theoretical knowledge with experience in academic process and process directed to effective organization of practice, usage of modern teaching methods, re-equipment, reconstruction of material and technical base. ASUE also has external components: flag, logo, slogan, which give an information regarding the University.