CHAIR OF BANKING AND INSURANCE
Head of the Chair - Ashot MARDOYAN, PhD in Economics, Associate Professor
The Chair of Banking and Insurance of the Armenian State University of Economics was formed in October 2012 on the basis of the reorganization of two Chairs - Financial Markets and Institutions and Corporate Finance.
The goal of the Chair
Based on the mission of ASUE, the goal of the Chair is to preapare specialists in the field of economics, modern business and administration, who are competitive in the domestic and international markets, possessing practical skills and abilities based on the following principles: academic freedom and autonomy, cooperation between education and the labor market, student-centered learning and exchamge of necessary knowledge.
Tasks of the Chair
The speciaties of "Banking" and "Insurance" occupy an important place both in the economy and financial system of the RA, and in the international arena. A great deal of experience has been accumulated in the training of personnel in these specialties at ASUE.
The need to train specialists in these areas is due to the fact that according to the Central Bank of the Republic of Armenia for 2018, 85.5% of the financial market is allocated to commercial banks, 9.5% to credit institutions, and about 1% to insurance companies, which indicates their key role and, therefore, the presence of a large number of vacancies (https://www.cba.am/AM/pperiodicals/fin_stab_19.pdf).
The Chair traditionally trained specialists in the areas of "Banking" and "Insurance" in all forms of education. Since 2016, due to the enlargement of Bachelor's degree educational programs in the Republic, the ASUE educational program "Finance" is being implemented, within the framework of which teaching is carried out in the directions of "Banking" and "Insurance".
The Chair provides teaching both in full-time and part-time forms of Master’s degree. Currently, the training is carried out in "Banking" and "Insurance" specialties. The Chair is working on presenting joint Master's degree programs for the next year joint with "Araratbank" OJSC and "Ingo Armenia" CJSC.
Cooperation with the labor market and employers
The Chair attaches great importance to relations with employers, with whom it cooperates in several directions.
Since 2015, master classes have been organized and carried out jointly with the insurance companies "Rosgosstrakh-Armenia" and "Ingo Armenia", as well as "Araratbank" and "ARMBUSINESSBANK" for students studying "Insurance" with the participation of leading experts from insurance companies and banks. At the same time, since 2019, for the first time, courses have been organized for students studying "Finance" who are interested in these areas of training. Upon completion of the courses, students are issued certificates. In addition, at the end of the courses, as a rule, many students get job offers. The program is long-term.
The Chair carries out research activities in the following areas:
“Ways to improve the efficiency of the RA financial institutions (banks, insurance companies) and ensure economic growth”;
"Actual problems of financial stability of banks and insurance companies in the Republic of Armenia, its impact on the economy and prospects for institutional development."
Staff of the Chair
- Mardoyan Ashot Vardani – Head of the Chair, PhD in Economics, Associate Professor
- Sahakyan Ruzan Alberti - PhD in Economics, Associate Professor
- Sargsyan Gayane Ediki - PhD in Economics, Associate Professor
- Bektemuryan Tigran Azati – PhD in Economics, Lecturer
- Ghazaryan Lusine Babkeni - PhD in Economics, Associate Professor
- Sardaryan Gevorg Lyudvigi – PhD in Economics, Lecturer
- Sargsyan Hayk Armeni – PhD in Economics, Lecturer
- Harutyunyan Gayane Yurii - PhD in Economics, Associate Professor
- Bejanyan Hayk Ilyichi - PhD in Economics, Lecturer
- Markosyan Armen Ashoti - PhD in Economics, Lecturer
- Mkhitaryan Aram Samveli - PhD in Economics, Lecturer
- Safaryan Norayr Alberti - PhD in Economics, Lecturer
- Ispiryan Harutyun Zakari - PhD in Economics, Lecturer
- Tonikyan Arman Samveli - PhD in Economics, Lecturer
- Torosyan Hasmik Artsrunu - PhD in Economics, Lecturer
- Avetisyan Anahit Kareni – Lecturer
- Nahapetyan Arthur Samveli - Lecturer
- Safaryan Hasmik Aramayisi – Senior Lab Assistant